Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Birthday 12th August 2007

My day started off early with me being baptised at the church.. Hmm must say that it's a one-off experience.. Being submerged in water in a swimming-pool like design in the church building itself.. its definitely a worthwhile experience and once in a lifetime thing.. and officially..feel the first steps of Christianity? as I've missed it for 11 or so years now?

Anyhow.. right after church.. was asked to go for lunch at McD's. Had a quickie lunch with Leon, Jie, Benny, Yun Han.

Darted over to Ing Chia's upon finishing lunch as I was already running late and wondering what was on the agenda for the day (as she wants it to be a surprise). Upon arrival, I questioned what she had in mind....to be told that I was too late for the cruise in Akaroa as it departed already... so she presented me 4 choices:

1) To go Hanmer Springs
2) To go Kaikoura
3) To go Arthur's Pass
4) To go Akaroa

Hmmm... tough decision.. especially coming from two like-minded people who always go "I dunno" or "anything la".. So have to do some evaluation here...

1) Hanmer Springs
- the idea of soaking in the pools sounds good...

2) Kaikoura
- not prepared for whale watching/cruise as we were already running too late for the cruise and also I did not know where I left my binoculars....

3) Arthur's Pass
- we both haven't been there before

4) Akaroa
- too common

So... finally decided to head over to Arthur's Pass as we both haven't been there before, and wondering what Arthur's Pass holds for us. And also to see the Kea.

After roughly 2 hours, with us stopping at scenic spots for photos and getting directions to Arthur's Pass when we were lost about 30 mins prior to destination... we finally did arrive at Arthur's Pass National Park.


This national reserve is enormous with a huge cluster of mountain ranges and forests...And everywhere here is so greeen ! With sooooo many tramping tracks to pick from... one definitely can't finish the entire park in a span of few days... It's just so amazing !!! There are some specialised winter tracks that takes about 8 hours return journey and from the pictures.. the views are spectacularly stunning at the peak in winter...however, due to the lack of time and preparation in the bitterly cold weather...we can't do the tracks this time around..
Will save this place in our minds till summer comes eh, Ing Chia? I'm just waiting.... waiting for you.... to be back .... for summer... This place would be such an adventure!!!! And I'm so looking forward for it.... !!

And speaking of Keas... birds that apparently "can't" fly... are supposedly all over the town..but due to the time of the day..we did not see many...only a measly 3 birds on top of a roof...and then.. minutes later.. they flew off... notice.. ."flew". Hmm.. new point of information... They do fly..maybe short distances and low altitude....Which explains how they got on top of the roof.
On our way back.. we stopped by Cave Stream to see how it looks like...Wow.. have to say that this place..would be another good adventure too..This cave is a one-way 1 hour walk in entire darkness with knee-deep water and unguided. Would be a good caving experience for the inexperienced as it is straightforward... Hmm first steps to picking up extreme caving...Hmmmm... soooo tempting.. but then again.. because of the coldness...will delay this adventure till summer when it gets warmer..
"Oh hi Ing Chia, this place is calling for your name"

Cave Stream inlet

Majestic view leading to Cave Stream

After posing for a few shots, its really time to head back. After a good shower, and with stomachs growling for food, its time to head out for buffet dinner... at the Casino. Another fine dining place in Christchurch. Dinner was awesome...especially the availability of fresh salmon...MMMMMMM yummmmmmm!!!! I've been craving fresh salmon for a looooong loooong time nowww.. and yeah, you guessed it.. I took a plate stacked with salmons and kept eating the same. I guess after this, I'll stop eating salmon for some time...kekeke..

I suggested to go my house to get candles after dinner so I can blow it to make a wish... But never did I know nor expected that Ing Chia had something up her sleeve all the while...She requested to a slice of cake with a candle on top and I sooo did not even see you hinting at the staff to bring out the cake! You're a master of disguise! Again, you surprised me...
I'm so happy that you've planned the surprises really well for me..you're of course, the greatest!

Complimentary picture

Right before the place closed, the waitress came over and asked to take a picture of us. So we did, but it included all the food on the table (which was alot because the staffs told us to take whatever we want as they were closing the buffet area in 5 mins).. Hahhahah.. make us look so greedy nia...

Complimentary gift

After having a fabulously satisfying meal, its time to go home.. Stopped over at my place since Ing Chia wanted to give me my birthday present.. Oooohh I've been waiting so long for it...
Simply put... the present was the most valuable, priceless and memorable gift that I've ever had in 22 years! The effort and time you, Ing Chia, had put into it, had shaped the simple gift to include so much meaning, emotions, feelings that it portrays.. I am so emotionally touched for the first time in my life.. thank you Ing Chia, thank you sooo soo much. You made me feel so special and the fabulous friendship we share. I have to even hold back my tears and emotions before I burst into tears in front of you... hahhaha =p It's THAT touching, seriously. Hmmm.. looks like you know how to make guys cry, eh? =) I have to say that I'm seldom appreciated in all my life so far, and have not received such a personalised gift, and I've been longing for this for a long long time now. And you gave it to me. All that I wanted. Plus appreciation that I was deprived of all this while...



You're such a wonderful friend, Ing Chia. You're the closest friend that I ever would have dreamed of, and I deeply thank you for that, for being my best friend, for being there whenever I need to reach out, for sharing wacky laughters and jokes, for supporting each other, for being a boon of inspiration, for all the moments and adventures that we have shared so far, and for everything else that you are and for everything that you bring into my life. Words can't fully describe the amazing friendship that we share, and the colors that you bring into my grey life. I hope we will see more of the world, embarking in adventures and enjoy more memorable moments together.

This post, is specially dedicated for you, the one and only Phang Ing Chia. The one girl who brought sunshine in my life and being a pillar of strength and support. The one who gave me new experiences, instilled hope and opened my eyes to lots of things. One that helped me developed myself to my fullest potential that I had never ponder of. Someone who made me feel at the pinnacle of my life with every passing day. One who makes me feel that I can achieve great things. Thank you for being that special someone in my life and I'm grateful for knowing you. Again, I thank you, deeply, from the bottom of my heart, for preparing such a fantastic weekend for me. With such a joyful celebration, I certainly hope this is not the last. I look forward to you coming back and soon start on our journey for more adventures ahead. Thank you, Ing Chia. *hugs*


link to the awesome weekend:

August 12 2007 /Arthur's Pass


2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks heaps for the post! yeah, friendships is like the rising sun, bringing warmth and light to our world.. it grews!!

whenever it's a special day,
or even when it's not, u'll always be treasured!!

i soooo wanna see u cry.. ;p

it's awesomely know that u like the gift and enjoy the day. hope u have the best birthday ever..
lots of happiness always.. :)

Unknown said...

cave stream! muahaha u shud go during winter and get the xtra kick.